Fire drills are just drills, anyway

Today I decided to take my daily shower a little earlier than I usually do, just after dinner. As I was rinsing the shampoo out of my hair, an alarm started going off. For a moment I stopped and wondered what the heck it could be. Residences don't have fire drills very often and I couldn't imagine what else they would need an alarm for. After a few seconds of wondering whether it would be truly worth it to put on my clothes and skip my moisturizing routine (which, in this dry winter season, is very important), I made a somewhat safe assumption that if it was a real emergency, someone would check the bathroom. I continued my shower and the alarm eventually stopped. My roommate later told me that it was in fact a fire drill and everyone was thinking, "McKenzie must be freaking the fuck out", meanwhile I was peacefully rinsing soap suds off my body.

Live and let live, I suppose.

Halifornia doesn't really deserve its nickname right now because it's been really shite weather lately, cold and snowy and wet. To make matters worse, Rhys is in Arizona right now for a shooting competition and I guess it's cool and all that he's so talented and whatever but I'm just really fucking pissed that he's enjoying 25 degree weather and beautiful sunsets and I'm over here trying not to slip on the slush and mud that's now the quad. But I digress. Knock em dead, baby.

As I'm nearing the end of my first year of university, I'm starting to feel more authentically independent. I have a distinct and unwavering feeling that this will just get stronger as time goes by, and this is when I want to document it. When I'm throwing myself into the world and slowly cutting all the strings that weren't truly me. The time is now.

In other news, I'm sick with a cold that's not bad enough to warrant any whining (although I still do). I've been popping those halls vitamin c lozenges like it's no tomorrow, even though they're like 90% sugar and 0% menthol. They just taste good. Let me live.


Comments