Nothing is terminal

Fingertips make valleys
in undiscovered skin and
on yours my hands 
have hardly made ravines.

But I know that
your freckles don't spill
over your skin like flecks of
cosmic dust,
they are carefully placed
so that I remember them.

I know your smile,
the way it looks 
and how it feels
pressed against mine
in the pause before a kiss,
vivid and human. 

I didn't know the feeling
of the floor then 
the way that I do now,
a landscape of tangled legs
and feather duvets and
the unforgiving flatness 
of the varnished oak.

One day my fingertips
will leave valleys
my kisses will taste like saltwater
and when leaving doesn't kill me 
then I'll understand 
that nothing is terminal,
not even love. 

Over here the ocean stretches forever
and now I think,
the hardwood floor 
would be such a nice place
to lay my head. 

Comments